19 January 2012

Online Art Project 1 (January): 3 colours


I have found that one of the best ways for me to keep motivated is to have a set goal or deadline. This ‘forces me to do it’ as such and since I have not been painting nearly as much as I'd like to, I have decided to commit to completing a painting a month for the next 6 months as part of about.com’s monthly painting projects.

For January the task was to create a painting, in any style, using a limited palette of 3 colours  being a blue, a red and an earth brown (and white). I chose to work with cadmium red, raw sienna and ultramarine blue and decided to keep the subject matter simple and paint a couch and vase in my room (as I only set myself an afternoon to complete the task). 

I have been looking at a lot of cubism inspired art of late and so decided to add some of these elements in my painting by ‘squaring off’ the vase, flowers and couch. See photo below as an example of the actual vase vs inspiration I found in another painting.


real life setting vs style influence




















 Final Submission

These elements turned out to be more subtle than originally intended but I don't mind the final outcome and like the feedback I got in that this "gives an edginess to a serene domestic scene".


Couch in My Room|Oil on Paper|(c) 2012

 
I was pretty excited to get some feedback on my work and the submission was a great way for me to step back and critique the final outcome. Click here to view complete submission featured on the about.com website


 

1 comment:

  1. I love this work and agree about motivation.

    ReplyDelete